22277: Kathleen: more time left on account, not much time left in Haiti (fwd)

From: kathleen burke <kathleenburke704@hotmail.com>

It was a pleasure to talk with the young Haitians studying English.  I wore
my "Wild Women Don't Get the Blues" T shirt, looking forward to explaining,
but no one asked.
My cat is a Very Bad Advertisement for motherhood.  She is cranky,
standoffish, whiny, while her two rapscallions are fat and frisky.  I
identify with young fathers everywhere when she won't let me pet her.  Rumor
has it that a young agronomist will take at least one of the kittens; maybe
she can relax once they're off to boarding school and have jobs.
At 9Pm and 6am, I can get Paris on the radio.  it's a relief in a ghastly
sort of way to learn that corruption is rife in new Vietnamese government
and the Cote d'Ivoire.  No cure for hiuman nature.  Did I hear right that
Bush would have an audience with the Pope?  Mezanmi!!!!
The most important change I wish for Haiti is that people could have jobs.
I told the class this a.m. that I didn't know how to do this, but without
this self-sufficiency people can't flourish.  Also, I pointed out that, no
matter where he came from, EVERY Haitian president left rich, and that had
to stop.  When someone asked me for the major difference between U.S. and
Haiti I said that in this regard, U.S. presidents were mostly rich men
before they ran for president but in any case there were checks and balances
to ensure more transparency than has been achieved in Haiti so far.  The
nastiness was mainly verbal.  Not that they were not corrupt as well, just
that they didn't have quite the free hand in individual enrichment at least.