22297: (Chamberlain) Aristide says no active plan to seek Haiti return (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Andrew Quinn

     PRETORIA, June 7 (Reuters) - Deposed Haitian President Jean-Bertrand
Aristide said on Monday he would not actively work to seek his return from
exile, saying democracy would have to return to the troubled Caribbean
nation first.
     Aristide, holding his first news conference since arriving in
temporary exile in South Africa on May 31, repeated charges that the United
States and France backed the armed rebellion which drove him from power on
February 29.
     "The huge majority of Haitian people, three months after the coup, are
still fighting in a peaceful way for my return," Aristide said.
     "I am not indifferent. I share their suffering...but we don't want to
be involved in any kind of political activity to be back soon in bad
conditions."
     Aristide, joined by his wife Mildred and South African Foreign
Minister Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, said he had no plans to contest elections
which could take place next year.
     "I don't see how they would try to have free, fair and democratic
elections if they don't change the reality (in Haiti) today," he said.
     He said he planned to use his time to write and would keep the same
low profile that he did during an earlier 10-week stay in Jamaica, where he
did not engage in overt political activity.
     "I could if I wanted...my silence was an eloquent silence," he said.
"We are not eager for power. The most important thing is to contribute, to
cooperate."
     Aristide has been given a red carpet welcome in South Africa despite
opposition protests that South African taxpayers should not be bankrolling
his exile.
     Dlamini Zuma said earlier that Aristide and his family were penniless
after they left Haiti.
     Aristide insists he remains his country's elected leader and has
accused Haiti's new government of harassing and killing his supporters --
saying on Monday abuses there were comparable to what was occurring in
Iraq.
     "People have to be free to talk, not in a violent way but in a
peaceful and reasonable way," Aristide said. "There was a coup d'etat,
there is a de facto government, but there is no democracy."
     Aristide repeated his thanks to South Africa and its President Thabo
Mbeki, who has come under political fire at home for agreeing to host
Aristide at government expense.
     Aristide said he was certain the "huge majority" of South Africans
stood by their president in offering help.
     "I respect the people of this beautiful country ... and because I
respect the people, I have to understand they are free to express their
opinions," he said.