22356: Racine: Re: 22337: JHudicourt: Haitian women (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

> There has been a discussion  on this list about whether
> rape and selling sex
> were   behavioral norms in Haiti.

You are missing the point, excuse my bluntness, and so are a few other people.

I am NOT by any means suggesting that rape is a "norm"!  It's not a "norm", it's a *crime*.  I am saying that rape and other forms of violence against women are epidemic in Haiti, and so they are!  It does not "demonize" a criminal to name his crimes.  And if women had "their own ways of getting respect" as Hudicourt suggests, then the hospital here in Jacmel would not be full of women who have been beaten, seriously burned, stabbed, and had bones broken by men.  Don't believe me?  Go up to the hospital and do a survey of women age 18 to 35.  The results will speak for themselves.

Why does it bother some people so much when someone tells the truth about Haiti?  It's not "racism", it's a simple factual statement, and until Haitians face these truths, nothing will change.  All the rationalizations in the world won't make a bit of difference.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html