22419: Simidor: Re Kathy Grey and rape (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

There is a problem with rape in Haiti, as in every male-dominated society.  Rape, more often than not, is the restavčk girl’s first introduction to sex, during or before puberty.  How many Haitian men can honestly say that they have never “slept” with the maid in the house (or with the maid next door)?  I’m not saying that in every case rape is involved.  But how often is the reverse true?  How often does the yardman get to bed the daughter of the house?  At the very least we have to redefine consent.

In male-dominated societies men wield power over women, by force when necessary or pleasing (sexual violence).  Women in a position of power (although not necessarily over men), anger the male libido.  The studs who threatened Kathy Grey, “M ap fout konyen w!” (I’m gonna fuck you!), may not be in a position to act out their threat, especially as long as she wields her machete, but they can go on harassing her with perfect impunity.  Imagine the outcry on the other hand if she was to castrate one of them!  Women have very little protection or recourse against rape, even though Aristide, true to form, had instituted a Ministry “ŕ la condition feminine” (all style and no substance).

Grey’s anger, however justified, is ethnocentrically sinful (racist) when she lashes out at Haitian culture in general.  But her outburst, even if misdirected, serves a more useful purpose than all the Ministres “ŕ la condition feminine” combined!  May she soon devise a good curse or potion to shrivel up her attackers’ ding-a-lings and make them limp forever.

P.S.  Castration (koupe grenn yo) is morally justified when there is no other protection or recourse available.  It’s just not a solution under patriarchy.

Daniel Simidor