22442: Du Tuyau: Re; the passing of Vilaire (fwd)

From: ViandeMoulue@aol.com

I must say, I was quite impressed by Mister Vilaire's logic and sense of rectitude. He was one of the few level-headed posters that I read regularly on the list, not to laugh or shake my head in disapproval, but to learn and understand better a more or less liberal point of view on issues. He really cared about the Haitian people (all Haitian people that is).

I remember meeting him a few times in the DC area where I used to go in the past, to hear lecturers on Haiti. He always projected the air of a thoughtful and quiet man, and never really bothered with the religious crowds of pro and anti-Aristide/Lavalas/Convergence et.al. The guy was cool.

As I arrived this morning in the kitchen, a young pretty lady-waitress came up to me to tell me that someone around 37 years old had died in the DC area, and she thought I went to DC this weekend from Connecticut for a little partying/dancing. So she thought I was dead. I kind of smile but it wasn't me this time. So when I read Mister Guy (aka Antoine Langomier's) post, I almost cried but I rarely do so.

I am not in the business of saying the guy was great because he just died. He simply was great. Although I disagreed with some of his points of view, especially in regards to economics, overall I respected him for who he was/is/will always remain: a man who didn't want to be "à la page" by hating and rejecting everything that is even remotely associated with the previous party in power. He wasn't about "social kinship", typical of our "bourgeois-wanna-be's". He was about us, the country, the nation.

Folks, this is sad. Very, very sad. But let's just say this: May God bless his soul. One last thing, though.

One time, he made some kind of a controversial statement to a friend while I was around. So I simply smiled thinking based on what he had said: "maybe it's true, the Truth is a Liberal conspiracy".

Go in peace brother. I hope you say hello for me while up there, to our sung and unsung heroes. At least God gave you the opportunity to see 2004 and all its controversies for Haiti.

God bless,
Du Tuyau in a sad-saddening-sadenned mood.