22487: Dorce: Re: 22482: Mambo Racine Re: 22465: Antoine responds to #22437: (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 6/24/04 6:05:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Mambo Racine
writes:

(Gi Antwon)
<< > - "The fact is that Haitian men are raised to be rapists,
 > and
 > rewarded for rape."
 >
 > Don't you think that is overreaching?

 No, I don't, that is what I have been saying!  Rape is not an individual
problem, any more than domestic violence is a problems strictly between two
domestic partners.  It's culture-wide, and it can only be solved by a culture-wide
movement comparable to the American feminist movement. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Haitian men are not raised to be rapists.  Many, many, MANY Haitian men grow
up not raping women and in fact being raised to protect them.   I know a lot
of Haitian men who have never raped a woman but who have been aculturated to
marry and have mistresses.  These are differnt ways than ours (in the US...but
not to say they are wrong) I think your experiences are skewed because you are
in a caregiving profession and tend to see people who need help.  Also, you
might be feeling the effects of making the community unhappy with you for some
reason.  Maybe you have inadvertently crossed the line with regard to societal
norms, I don't know.  But this is not a normal reaction to someone who has
shown respect for the culture they have entered into as a foreigner.  Or if you
have tried to change old ways, no matter how right you may be, perhaps you have
injured feelings and made people feel inadequate and thereby resentful of
you.  This might account for your being threatened in the most frightening manner
for a woman...rape.  I see though that you have not been raped so perhaps
it's just bravado and intimidation and nothing more will happen.  I certainly
hope that's the case.

Sincerely,

Kathy Dorce~