22553: Mason re 22543: Pierre: RE: 22540: Nlbo: On Color -- Bob Corbett adds (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

I was impressed with Marie Nadine Pierre's "take as a social scientist" on
the importance of color in Haitian society. As well as Nekita's comments. As
well as Bob's input.

I am no social scientist. I am not Haitian. But I have long associated with
Haitians at a level wherein they (across the spectrum, across the "great
divide") have shared with me personally over many years about such "in the family"
Haitian issues.

The ones who have shared such feelings and experiences with me have mostly
been on the "dark" and "poor" end of the spectrum. Over decades. And they did
not fare very well -- all things considered. I have never heard a word from
someone on the "light" or "not poor" side of the spectrum who had such victim
tales to tell! One did share with me about liberties taken, however.

But, I do take exception with Marie Nadine Pierre on one particular point.

I have never met Edwige Danticat but I know her husband well and I do not see
why they should be singled out amongst "the bad guys" in the above-mentioned
dynamic. Have you never heard of love? Such things, such unions do happen, you
know, without regard to color or hue or the potential lighter color of one's
children! Not everything in life is calculated to such an extent! Some people
actually succeed in life based upon their talent, regardless of
disadvantaging, regardless of advantaging. Edwige and her husband are such folk!

And I don't quite understand Marie's reference to Nekita. Is Nekita clumped
into the group of "treacherous" educators? Or is she a kindred spirit with whom
you have attempted to share your thinking and are offended because she has
not yet written back to you?

In addition, I do not like to take exception with a somewhat related
editorial recently published in "The Haitian Times", but I must.

The author (a Haitian conflict resolution expert) decried the use of Creole
proverbs, when those proverbs don't paint a "good picture" of Haitian Society.

I guess she thinks that they should be dumped from the collective Haitian
spirit? En masse? Good to whom? Bad to whom? Who decides?

Proverbs such as the one cited which states in English that "the one who does
the injury forgets; the one who suffers the injury remembers" (my
translation)?

Really???

What, pray tell, is outmoded or counter-intuitive or un-Haitian or
un-American or inhuman about that proverb???

It's a truth of life. American. Russian. French. German. African. Haitian.
Whatever.

Maybe some Haitians would like to rewrite history at "such a time as this"???
But why??? To what end??? To separate Haitians from the rest of human
history???

Back to the color issue in Haiti.

This "color" social divide in Haiti (and many other co-mingled blood
societies) exists and it exists big time. It determines just about everything with
regard to a child's nurturing, education, career choice (water carrier or
college-bound?), contextualization, friendships, marriage possibilities, etc.! And I
mean just about everything! Even though there are always outstanding
exceptions to every trend in every society!

I have stayed completely out of the recent "rape" thread because I have had
no personal experience with the issue, nor has any Haitian woman or man ever
shared with me personally that they were either a victim or aggressor in such
"human sexual interaction" which in most societies is considered to be criminal,
yet is brought to somewhat questionable criminal justice disposition "nenpòt
ki kote", depending upon the societal positioning of either the agressor and /
or the victim in those nations.

[Although I must admit to some personal enjoyment over the sub-thread with
regard to the "Mambo" / "Manbo" who chose to "wax eloquent" on the subject of
the Haitian Creole / French / English spellings of her professional status /
naming, which I suspect just might be a bit beyond her "lwa or heavenly-endowed"
anointing with regard to expertise in linguistics. Do I dare on this Corbett
List to make a play on the Creole words "san" and "sans"??? Do I dare to
venture an English translation of "without sense"??? This is not a personal attack.
It is just a linguistic observation that is too comical to let pass!]

Is Haiti really different with regard to a powerful,
societally-well-positioned male taking advantage of a not-so-powerful or even powerless,
not-so-societally-well positioned female? Does not a British MP get away with such crap???
Does not a French consular attache get away with such crap??? Does not an
American President ALMOST get away with such crap??? The power differential
dynamic is not new to human history.

But do such true-to-life occurrances paint a picture that all guys named Bill
from Arkansas are rapists???

So then, why should we Corbett Listers settle for a sentiment that all
Haitians are trained from birth to be rapists??? Without a lively debate very
rightfully ensuing???

Beyond that observation, I'll not comment further on the subject at this time.

Now, back to the color issue.

At almost every point of every human interaction I ever witnessed in Haiti,
color and / or hue (along with class positioning and $$$ under the table)
helped to determine whether a person had a hearing or a fair chance at obtaining
what was supposed to be a freely-available public service, let alone access to a
viable career track or the passing of the Bac. But then, back in the
mid-1970s and early-1980s, class positioning and who you knew and $$$ under the table
were required prerequisites for the obtaining of some governmental services,
regardless of color or national origin of the applicant!

I guess there is no real discrimination where greed and corrupt practices are
concerned!

The one major exception to upward mobility of Haitians regardless of color
and class was a career track within the Haitian Military, which whether some of
us like it or not is bound to make its reappearance at a nearby theater any
day soon!

Call me a cynic. But these things are true. It's just taken me decades to
dare to say such things out loud.

When it really counts, friends need to tell friends the truth. Right?

It's either that or I just am so numbed by what is passing for democracy in
Haiti right now that I just barely give a damn what anybody reading this even
thinks about me.

What we think about Haiti and the destiny of Haiti's People -- ALL her
people; the 10% minority which seems to have its way with impunity these days (with
Tonton Sam right by their side and paying their way at U.S. taxpayer expense)
and the 90% majority who seem to have no say whatsoever -- is what counts
right now.

It's time for us to speak up now or forever hold our peace!

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
P.O. Box 181015
Boston, Massachusetts 02118 USA