22610: Antoine thanks the anonymous linguist (fwd)

From: Guy S. Antoine <webmaster@haitiforever.com>

I want to thank that anonymous White American who studied
linguistics for being kind enough to let me know how
virtually impossible it is not to pronounce an "m" when
saying the word "manbo".  Of course, there is not even a
need to try as such does not even exist in all of Haiti, and
we heard it on good authority. Mèsi blan (Thank you, White
American!)

I realize now why my mouth hurts so much when repeatedly
asking for "manba" (peanut butter) all these years in my
life.  I never realized the vocal acrobatics I was
subjecting myself to.  Again, thank you White American!  The
next time I ask one of my compatriots for peanut butter in
Haitian Creole, I will at least try to ask for it the right
way (and thank the Corbett List for it!)

A word to Richard Morse, all the way in England: What the
heck are you doing in that forsaken country?  Come back,
man, and complete your education in Haitian culture.  Why
would you even try to spell "Mambo" in Haitian Creole the
wrong way?  Ask your wife to give you "yom bom beny fèy" (a
good old Haitian leaves bath -- I hope I spelled everything
right this time) so you can come back to your senses?

Since I have learned to read, write, and speak Haitian
Creole on the authority of my loving friends on the Corbett
List, both anonymous and non-anonymous, I shall now decree
that there is not a damned bit of a difference between the
words "sheet" and "shit" in English.  Why in the world have
I tried so damn hard to not be misunderstood?

It's never too late to learn (thanks to the good ol' Corbett
List!)

Guy S. Antoine
Windows on Haiti
http://haitiforever.com