22654: Allouard: Re: 22622: (Chamberlain) Ronaldo going to Haiti - weapons for soccer ticket (fwd)

From: Allouard <allouard@libertysurf.fr>

It was advertised some days ago that the Brazilian soccer team would play in
Haiti, good, and his goal being the disarmament, good.

But the idea of having gang members and various kinds of people receiving a
pass to see the match in exchange of a weapon leaves me a strange feeling...

First of all because an evident side effect of this will be some more
murders... It is not rare since March that people kill to have weapons... A
sad and meaningful example of this trend: a coast guard officer accompanying
his wife to the general hospital some weeks ago.
As he came out the hospital to buy the medicines in the drugstores around,
he was shot. Murderers took his weapon and did not bother with his cell
phone or his money...
Last week in La Saline, a young guy was shot and killed for being reluctant
to give up his necklace. some 15 US value.
People are daily threatened with 9mm for small cash and/or cheap rings or
wrist watch. Two hours ago again, a young guy walking to pay his application
fee for national exam was robbed of the money by two others who threatened
him with to guns and beat him nicely for 80 Haitian dollars that is 11 US.
All those 3 recent examples occured day light in crowded areas... What won't
some people do for a Brazilian match???

Second: what kind of weapon will be accepted for trade? If "zam kreyol" are
accepted, I guess there is already several micro factories increasing
production : this kind of deadly weapon has a very low production cost...

I don't deny the UN the idea to organize this kind of operations... I only
hope situation, causes and consequences are better analyzed that what press
releases imply.

Philippe Allouard