22663: Wilcken: Re: 22648: Labrom: Re Smithsonian Folk Festival (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

I worked in the music tent at the Festival, and it was a thrilling
experience.  We had Racine Mapou de Azor and Tikoka packing the place,
with people of all colors and ages dancing up a storm (sometimes
literally).  We had Reginald Policard and Friends playing rich Haitian
jazz, the incredible voice of Boulo Valcourt, Rara San Rankin from
Leogane leading processions, and Kòd-o-Bann, a fascinating group of women
from a microcredit project singing about the concerns of women.  The
site, with its artists, artisans, and tradespeople resembled a piece of
Haiti mapped onto the National Mall.  Hats off to the organizers!

One visitor was overheard by a volunteer saying, "Haiti!  Who knew?"

Lois

La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road 4C, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org