22674: Senou: Supporting the Savannah Monument (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Supporting the Savannah Monument

On October 9, 2004 after the erection and the
inauguration of the Savannah monument, the Fils-Aimé
Family will become the biggest ever-Haitian family in
the U.S. The son of someone who is from Cerca la
Source not too far from Ouanaminthe is going to make
history. Last Tuesday, Senator John Kerry selected
John Edwards as his running mate and ipso facto sent a
strong message to the nation that anyone can aspire to
be the VP or the president in this land of
opportunity.

There is precedence in many things and there is a
reason for everything. The date for the inauguration
of the Savannah was set for quite some time. We know
that many of us don’t know how and when to contribute
financially for a good cause.

The missionary came to Haiti and bailed us out; a
majority of us had never contributed to assist our
church back home in paying their bill on time. We give
one gourde or 5 gourdes in the offering. In the U.S.,
we continue doing the same thing with the expectation
that the missionaries are going to bail us out again
and they are nowhere to be found. A cool example is
the Haitian Catholic Church in Atlanta, it has
appeared that these folks are reinventing the Catholic
in running it like a protestant church where the
pastor and his wife control everything. Collection
each Sunday is lamentable, not because they do not
have the “Cheese” but they were raised in a system
that did not give them the opportunity to support
their own initiative.

When setting a date for whatever, it should be done
and no matter what. Therefore, one must check his/her
resource before going public. Also, don’t ever
postpone anything unless it is a natural disaster.
When you set a date, I arrange my schedule to be in
that city, I buy ticket in advance to get a cheap
prize and sometimes a non-refundable ticket. If you
cancel a nationwide public event once, I may be
unwilling to alter my schedule for you in the future.
Therefore, once you go public, you better stick with
it and no matter what.

I tend to see the bigger picture and the long-term
benefit any project can bring to a community, a city,
a state, a country and to an ethnic group. It is not
the first time nor the last time, we may have the
impression that someone felt in love with a particular
project or a particular organization.  Those who have
been involved in public life and politic for quite
some time usually step back and let it fly.

There is no good or bad suggestion and there is no
good or bad question; but when you make a suggestion
in front of me, be prepared to follow thru.

I first learned about the Savannah Project like most
of you, despite having an important game to go to that
day, I had to go over there to see the ground breaking
ceremony. I already plan a cool weekend in Savannah on
October 8-10, 2004 to attend the inauguration. The
public image of the individual behind that project is
at stake and not the organization, most of you don’t
even know the members of that organization and you see
this everywhere in the world. The Atlanta Olympic the
former Mayor Bill Campbell, the rejuvenation of
Atlanta, again the former mayor Bill Campbell but what
happen to the other folks and if it was a mess it
would Bill Campbell.

My friends, October 9, 2004 is approaching at the
speed of light. We need to come together and get the
job done.

http://www.haitianhistory.org/
haitianhistory@bellsouth.net
Haitian American Historical Society