22670: Walton: RE: 22647: Klosa: U.S. aid (fwd)

From: "Walton, Robert" <robert.walton3@us.army.mil>

Re: "Did Francois Duvalier really say that Haiti should declare the U.S. war
and then we will get real help from them? Was it a joke? I was too young
someone tell me if its true because these facts here are proving him
right!!!"

The trick is to declare war on the US-- and lose unequivocally.  It worked
for Germany and Japan after WW2.  Lack of resistance to the occupation
permitted faster rebuilding for Japan.  Their cultural traditions and
personal qualities of self-sacrifice, self-respect, honesty and work-ethic
hastened their country's recovery.  Some Haitians have these qualities- find
them and employ them in government.  Look for leaders who want to build
their country, not their bank accounts; serve the Haitian people, not be
served by them and who will surround themselves  with only like-minded
co-workers/officials.

IMHO, Aristide STARTED out that way but chose too many officials of his
co-workers and poorly.  His officials took care of themselves, not the
people, he needs to stay away.

Haiti's interim government is far from perfect but is working with  other
nations who are involved in peacekeeping, civil assistance and work to
restore Haiti's infrastructure to provide for Haiti's immediate needs.

Bob Walton