22714: Walton: RE: 22704: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-Gov. Bush establishes panel to aid Haiti (fwd)

From: "Walton, Robert" <robert.walton3@us.army.mil>

RE: -----
"Bush has said he is inclined to support temporary protected status for
Haitians, but needs more
information.

The executive order said the commission would help identify the needs of the
country and make recommendations to the governor's office. Some of the areas
of focus would include economic development, environmental issues,
infrastructure development, disaster relief and governmental corruption."
------

Forgive my cynicism but formation of "committees to propose assistance
solutions/programs for Haiti" seems like an excellent ploy for building the
governor's political capital just prior to an election.  I believe both the
problems and many just and tenable solutions are well known.

If the governor would define his "information needs re temporary protected
staus" tomorrow, they could likely be met within a week.  I suppose he could
write a concerned note to his brother with a copy provided to Mr. Ashcroft.
The President's political capital would certainly increase if he promises to
"study the matter further" and releases a few of Krome's guests just prior
to the election but I'd bet against a sea-change in policy while either are
in office.

It's difficult for me to believe that Haiti's economic needs and corrective
business models are as yet unidentified.  While business models that would
adequately compensate Haitian workers rather than exploit them may be
strange to those connected to American big business or government, a
competent graduate business student could likely provide several examples
over the course of a day.

Bob Walton