22715: Hess: Re: 22693: Severe: Creole is for Latin Lovers (fwd)

From: Dougrhess2@aol.com

In a message dated 7/16/2004 8:50:45 AM Eastern  Daylight Time,
corbetre@webster.edu writes:
I  have a faint memories of  looking at Charts that map out the origin of
different languages and Creole  being lumped together with French as a
Romance Language, with Latin being the  origin of the romance languages,
making Creole of Latin Origin.  While  only part of the story(what about
AFRICAN influence), I think it's  right.  I guess George Will was right,
Haitians are Latinos.
===

There are experts on the list, but I think Creole languages, by  definition,
are a little hard to pigeon hole. For instance, there are some  Dutch/Hindi
Creole languages in the Caribbean, I believe. Haitian Creole may  have roots for
the vast majority of its vocab from French, Spanish, Portuguese  and such,
but there's plenty of words from elsewhere and then there is  that grammar
structure. Is any part of the grammar of HC influence by West  European languages?