22807: (Chamberlain) Aristide supporters demonstrate (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By AMY BRACKEN

   PORT-AU-PRINCE, July 28 (AP) -- Hundreds of supporters of ousted
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide marched through the slums of Haiti's
capital Wednesday to demand his return.
   Even as the crowd rallied against Haiti's new U.S.-backed interim
government, a group of Caribbean nations announced that it would make a
decision in about two weeks on whether to recognize the new leadership.
   About 2,000 people, many waving posters, marched through the narrow
streets of several Port-au-Prince slums before filing past the U.S.
Embassy, where they burned small coffins bearing the names of interim Prime
Minister Gerard Latortue and other officials. One coffin simply said,
"U.S.A."
   A U.S.-led multinational force of 3,600 troops arrived in Haiti after a
three-week rebellion that culminated in Aristide's Feb. 29 ouster.
Aristide, in exile in South Africa, has accused the United States of being
behind his overthrow, a claim Washington has denied.
   The U.S.-led force was replaced by a Brazil-led U.N. peacekeeping
mission at the end of June.
   "We cannot live without Aristide," said 70-year-old demonstrator Solange
Michel, who said her son was killed by soldiers during a 1991 coup that
ousted Aristide for three years.
   "We think he will return if we keep protesting," said Bob Fonfon, 34, a
former port worker who said past protests brought Aristide back to power.
   Meanwhile, leaders in the 15-member Caribbean Community met in Grenada
Wednesday, saying they would announce their decision on whether to
recognize Haiti's U.S.-backed government on Aug. 16.
   Relations between the 15-member bloc and Haiti collapsed after rebels
ousted Aristide.
   Five foreign ministers from the region visited Haiti earlier this month
and said they were satisfied with Haiti's pledges to hold new elections
next year and uphold justice, indicating the way had been cleared for
restoring ties.
   But friction still exists between some members who question the
legitimacy of the interim government and believe Aristide was forcibly
removed from power.
   Those attending Grenada's closed-door meeting on Wednesday heard a
report from the foreign ministers who concluded their visit July 14. They
were expected to make a recommendation to other Caribbean leaders who were
not present.
   "We have reached some conclusion on those recommendations and we will be
formulating our position ... to pass on to the heads (of government) for
their endorsement," Caribbean Community Secretary-General Edwin Carrington
said, declining other details.
   Haiti, with some 8 million people, is the poorest country in the
Americas and the Caribbean Community's most populous.