22810: Kathleen: bazelais Jean-Baptiste <bazelaisjb@aol.com>, OTHERCARIB@aol.com,

     Frederick James Pattemor <fredj@sympatico.ca

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

This "coup" seems to be passing into the Haitian lore via the media as
fact,
much as did the "defrocked priest" during the nineties.  Neither is true,
but
both were/are repeated by media writers.

The facts are these:

 Aristide was not in the palace, but safely miles away in Tabarre.  How
was his
life in danger?
A Reuters correspondent reported going to the palace at the wee hours of
the morning to see palace security outside the palace  running a bulldozer
break down the gate to get at the "coup leaders" who were supposedly
hiding in
the Palace basement.  So - how were the "coup leaders" breaking in?  And
how
did they get into the basement?  Again, Aristide and his family were not
there.

    A poll conducted by LE NOUVELLISTE revealed that 70% of all classes
polled
(workers, unemployed, merchants, professionals) believed the "coup" to be
"montage" (staged).
As they (and I) were on site to bear witness, it seems that the "plants"
in the
American media on historical Haitian timelines are grace a lobbyists,
rather
than objective purveyors of fact.
At best, the "coup" is debatable, a matter of opinion, not fact.  I would
go so
far as to say it is as wrong as was "defrocked priest."  I was there, in a
Port-au-Prince hotel, when it all went down and later, reading the reports
in
the Haitian press, talking to various witnesses. kb