22838: Maxwell: Re: 22829: Slavin: Toussaint Question (fwd) Corbett adds

From: Stuart Maxwell <emailme@stumax.com>

I'm not an esteemed anything, but your question reminded me that I had
recently come across this surprising tidbit myself, on page 16 of
_Haitian Revolutionary Studies_ by David Patrick Geggus.  Geggus notes
that Toussaint had been "freed around the age of 30," that he "owned
and rented both slaves and small properties," and that this is all a
fairly recent discovery.  However, he doesn't tell us where this
information comes from , so I'd love to know, too, if anyone has the
source.

Stuart Maxwell

=========

Corbett adds.  I too wish Geggus had given a source.  However, I've
followed his writings for years and have yet to catch him up in an even
doubtful claim.  A very responsible historian.

Bob Corbett