22841; Bell: Slavin: Toussaint owned slaves?

From: madison bell <mbell@goucher.edu>

Yes for sure.  see article by Fouchard, Debien and Menier in Conjonction
juin
juillet 1977 no. 134... authors found a document in the parish records of
Borgne to the effect that Toussaint had freed a slave there-- it is so
noted in
the marriage document of the freedman.  The same article shows that
Toussaint
rented properties that came with groups of slaves attached.

No reason to think less of him for it!  in my view.  Others may differ and
some
of them do.  The way I see it he was working the system.  Till the
opportunity
came to CHANGE the system....

msb