22845: Senou: The CEP in Crisis (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

The CEP in Crisis:

Whenever there is a crisis, we should ask ourselves
this question: what is the responsibility of each
member of that institution? I took some time to surf
the Haitian Embassy website but I did not find the
rules and regulations for that specific institution.
Hopefully someone is this forum may make it available
to our readers. Each institution has its own rules and
regulations and each member is assigned to a specific
taste.
What is the duty and the responsibility of the
President:    Vice-President: Treasurer:  Secretary
General:
And also the members
Member 1: Member 2: Member 3: Member 4: Member 5:

What are the criterions to hire personnel? Who is the
decision maker? Who can fire and hire a staff? Before
any hiring, is there any law in the book that requires
consensus? What are the procedures?

(I think it could be great if Haiti has a civil
servant office where people would apply and that
institution would send qualified members to fill the
vacancies. I do not like the idea that the president
of any public institution hiring any staff with the
exception of his/her personal secretary) this can
compromise the neutrality of that institution or
hiring a bunch of friends. Qualified or not one shall
avoid having a bunch of friends in the same
department.

Well, was there any announcement? It must be
competitive
Did the people fill out an application? Who is in
charge of the initial interview? Folks, we see how
things are done in the United States of America,
Canada, and France and other places; it is about time
to bring qualification into the selection process.

Question: There is a human relation dilemma within the
CEP? Now what are the criterions to send a member
representing any institution? There are lots of
qualified Haitians in Haiti and in the Diaspora who
understand that process, why we do not call them? Why
we do not call the CEP of Sabala who organized the
cleanest election in the world in 1990?

Some of you by your actions make the world believe
that Haitians do not know how to organize an election
or make us look like a bunch of fools who don’t know
what we are doing. Please, spare us from this
embarrassment.  This CEP needs to straight itself ASAP
or buzz off. We do not have the time to deal with a
bunch of people who are spending the rest of their
life looking for problem and whenever there is none,
they will create one. There are laws in the book and
the CEP is not intended to be homeboy environment;
each member is sent to do his/her work. And each
member is responsible for his/her action.

You may disagree with someone but that does not mean
that he/she has to resign; Haitians need to learn to
follow the law in the book. For instance the sole
person who was responsible to decide the winner of the
contested election in Florida was the secretary of
State. She has the last word. You may contest his/her
decision in the court and take it all the way to the
Supreme Court or la haute cour de justice in Haiti.

Whenever there is a crisis, we shall open the book and
use the existing laws and all rulings shall be based
on the existing laws my friends.
NB: We could have used article 289 to form this
current CEP, if we are serious on organizing a fair
and a free election which is a pleonasm since election
should be free and fair otherwise it becomes a
selection.

Senou    8/3/04
Please take a look at these articles below

ARTICLE 289:

Awaiting the establishment of the Permanent Electoral
Council provided for in this Constitution, the
National Council of Government shall set up a
Provisional Electoral Council of nine (9) members,
charged with drawing up and enforcing the Electoral
Law to govern the next elections, who shall be
designated as follows:

1) One for the Executive Branch, who is not an
official;

2) One for the Episcopal Conference;

3) One for the Advisory Council;

4) One for the Supreme Court;

5) One for agencies defending human rights, who may
not be a candidate in the elections;

6) One for the Council of the University;

7) One for the Journalists Association;

8) One for the Protestant religions;

9) One for the National Council of Cooperatives.

ARTICLE 289-1:

Within two weeks following ratification of this
Constitution, the bodies or organizations concerned
shall inform the Executive of the name of their
representative.

ARTICLE 289-2:

If any of the above bodies or organizations does not
appoint a member, the Executive shall fill the vacancy
or vacancies.

ARTICLE 289-3:

The mission of the Provisional Electoral Council shall
end when the President-elect takes office.

ARTICLE 290:

The members of the first Permanent Electoral Council
shall divide among them by lot the terms of nine (9),
six (6), and three (3) years, stipulated for
replacement of the Council by thirds (1/3).

http://www.haiti.org/official_documents/87constitution/doc_constitution_en_title6.htm