22857: LScottPht: Re: 22856: radtimes: Human Rights Horrors in Haiti (fwd)

From: LScottPht@aol.com

I spoke to many people who had horrible, horrible things done to them and
their family members by Lavalas people and police working for Aristide. I am
trying not to be biased because I know that these same atrocities have occurred on
both sides, but everyone needs to remember that what is happening to Lavalas
people right now has been happening to the opposition as well as people that
just went about minding their own business for many years. Several of the
police that were killed in Gonaives were actually just wounded by the rebels who
were trying to take them to the hospital. The crowds pulled the police from the
rebels and mutilated them. I was witness to an event in which Lavalas
supporters are calling a "murder" by the rebels. I know what went down during this
so-called "murder", and the rebels were being fired upon before they ever fired a
single shot. Keep in mind that the rebels and other people of Gonaives, have
had their families assassinated and their homes burned. T-Wil's baby girl was
in hiding because Aristide wanted her killed. Just 2 weeks ago, one of the
rebels sisters was killed by a chimere. I am not siding with them, but this is
just to remind people that the killing is happening on both sides and at some
point, if Haiti is ever going to heal itself, this violence and hatred is just
going to have to stop. I was even threatened by Kevin Pina who is supposed to
be a journalist. And, by the way, I have been in "rebel controlled" territory
recently. Since the rebels have turned in most of their weapons in Gonaives,
the city's crime rate has gone up again. And yes, in Gonaives they did turn in
their weapons. T-Wil is allowed to legally carry one, but there is a new "hit"
that has been put out on his life by Aristide. I have witnessed him crying
several nights because he is afraid for his life, as well. I was also with him in
Feb. when 17 men came in on Aristide's orders to assasinate all of us.
Recently, there have been a number of murders in Gonaives by the chimere. It is just
a never ending cycle. I am sure now that people know that I know the rebels,
my life will be threatened again. When is it ever going to stop? Very sad!

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://www.pbase.com/lscottpht/haiti";>PBase (Haiti Images)</A>
<A HREF="http://americanphotojournalist.com/member.php?user=lscotthpht";>
American Photojournalist</A>