22853: Dailey: Re: Noam Chomsky on Aristide Government (fwd)

From: Peter Dailey <phdailey@msn.com>

When an interviewer in November, 2002 asked Chomsky why the U.S. continued
to block the release of international loans, his reply was
uncharacteristically forthright. In part, U.S. actions were "just revenge
against an independent populist leader." The corruption of the Aristide
government had nothing to do with it. "I'm sure it's corrupt, and brutal,
and everything else they say," Chomsky acknowledged, " but not more than
other countries that the US supports. If we start running down the list of
countries the US supports, Haiti starts to look good by comparison." (Znet;
1/25/03)

Peter Dailey