22892: Durban: Who Needs Cap Haitian? (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Reading that alarmist NY Times article on the disorderly
situation in Cap Haitian (Corbett# 22832) and at least one
subsequent report that life in Cap isn't really that bad misses
the point.  Until order is restored and the very real danger of
being held up on the way to or from the city is eliminated, Cap
will not rank high on anyone's list of places to visit.

Our company in Port-au-Prince had planned our annual employee
excursion last December, well before the susequent political
turmoil.  Over 100 employees had signed up and paid deposits for
a 3 day trip to Cap Haitien, scheduled for last month.  It had
been a few years since we had made that trip so I can tell you,
it was much anticipated by everyone.  But in recent months, the
committee in charge became increasingly concerned about reports
from the North, and many employees began asking for their
deposits back!  When it appeared that there would be no way
security on the bus trip up and back could be assured, a hasty
change of venue was made.

We've just returned from a most enjoyable sejour at Camp Le
Montcel at Belot... a remarkable "ranch", 9 rugged kilometers
beyond Kenscoff.  Excellent lodging, superb cuisine, truly
spectacular views, tennis courts, pool, music for dancing, great
service by attentive staff.  I did hear some comment about maybe
doing the Cap trip next year if conditions improved, but I heard
even more people interested in a return to Belot!

For most people, it is not a political question.  Whether it is
a hungry "rebel" who stops your bus at gunpoint or an angry
"chimere" is really quite beside the point.  Who needs to be
bothered with the risk when there are other more attractive
options?

Lance Durban