22929: Morse: Caricom (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

 I'm not quite sure of what Caricom is or what it does. It seems to be a
 club of forty or fifty year old former colonies. I do know that when
 Aristide was doing his thing in Haiti (such as killing and intimidating
 journalists), Caricom was at a loss for words. Has Haiti lost jobs
 because of its separation with Caricom? Has Haiti lost investment because
 of its separation from Caricom? The Haitian people seem to suffer no
 matter who is in power, whether its the left or the right. Is Aristide
 suffering right now? Is Cedras suffering right now? Perhaps a bit of
 embarrasment, but they're not starving or getting shot at. They're
 probably looking for book deals.

 Its time to think about the Haitian people. If we don't, they'll become
 the Dominican people or the Miami people or the Bahamian people of
 Haitian descent.

Richard Morse