22946: Esser: Cruising Into History Changes Course (fwd)

From: D. Esser <torx@joimail.com>

August 11, 2004
Cruising Into History Changes Course

Introduction/Background

The following statement "Cruising Into History Changes Course" is a
response
to the legitimate concerns raised by the Commission on Communications of
Fanmi Lavalas and representatives of the Pro-Democracy Movement in the
U.S.
and abroad that our Pilgrimage could be construed as  endorsing or
legitimizing the U.S. installed government in Haiti. This impression
resulted from the interaction with officials of this administration in
our
request that the commitments made by the Aristide Government to provide
logistical and security support for CIH be honored. Then as now, we
understood that given conditions in Haiti, certain activities could not
be
undertaken without the support of the government. And, we always made it
clear that our acceptance of support should not be seen as an
endorsement of
the government, a particular party or political movement.  However,
given
the tragic events of February/March, we must be self-critical in not
fully
assessing the implications of accepting support of this administration
conduct tours to the Citadel and Sans Souci Palace as originally
envisioned.
Certainly there was never any intent that CIH be seen as endorsing the
current regime in Haiti or that it be used for that purpose.
Accordingly, as
a result of an extensive and productive dialogue with the Commission on
Communications of Fanmi Lavalas and leaders of the Pro-Democracy
Movement,
and in the spirit of unity in struggle, we have changed course. It is
our
sincere hope that our Statement and actions will be accepted in that
spirit!

Cruising Into History Changes Course
Commemorative Visit to Haiti
August 19, 2004

Statement by Ron Daniels, Director of the Haiti Support Project

 From its inception Cruising into History (CIH) has been a non-profit,
non-government sponsored, cultural, educational and civic project
intended
to express solidarity with and support for the masses of the Haitian
people.
It has never been our intention that this extraordinary journey be used
endorse, promote or support any particular government, political party
or
political movement. The Haiti Support Project has worked, against great
odds, to mobilize nearly 500 Haitian Americans, African Americans and
friends of Haiti to join us for an extraordinary Caribbean Pilgrimage to
salute Haiti and the Haitian people and share in the year long
bicentennial
observances of the independence of  the first Black Republic in this
hemisphere.

We have always viewed our Commemorative Visit to Haiti August 19th as
the
climax and highlight of this Pilgrimage. As we embark on this journey,
however,  it has come to our attention that the U.S. backed "interim
government" is attempting to showcase our arrival in Haiti  to bolster
its
legitimacy. This is certainly not our intention. Accordingly,  the Haiti
Support Project would like to once again condemn the U.S. government
orchestrated overthrow of Jean Bertrand Aristide as the democratically
elected President of the Republic of Haiti and the installation of a
government in violation of  the Constitution of Haiti.

Moreover, rumors are circulating that a warrant for the arrest has been
issued for another Minister of the Aristide Government, who was
instrumental
in securing commitments from the Government of President Aristide to
provide
the necessary logistical support and security to make CIH a success.  A
few
weeks ago Yvon Neptune, Prime Minister in the Aristide Government, was
also
arrested, and there is a documented pattern of intimidation, arrests and
killing of Lavalas members across the country. The Caribbean Community
(CARICOM), the Congressional Black Caucus and international human rights
organizations have condemned the lack of protection for and overt
singling
out of Lavalas supporters for arrest and intimidation. This is
occurring in
the face of the failure to capture, arrest, disarm and prosecute the "so
called" rebels and known drug dealers and murderers. The Haiti Support
Project lends its voice to the growing international outcry against
these
human rights abuses.

To guard against any impression that we endorse this administration and
its
practices, we have decided to confine our commemorative activities to
the
grounds at Labadee, which does not require any logistical support,
security,
assistance or participation from this regime.  Though this will come as
disappointment to many who had hoped to visit historic sites in Cap
Haitien
and to visit the Sans Souci Palace and the Citadel near Milot, in the
end,
we are confident that as people of conscience and concern, our group
will
realize, that in the name of celebrating the bicentennial of Haiti's
independence, we do not want to do anything that may be interpreted as
undermining democracy and the welfare of the masses of the Haitian
people.
.