23000: Corbett -- The future of the list

>From Bob Corbett

Folks, I have run this Haiti forum since 1994, and enjoy it a great deal.
I also think it is an important and useful forum.

However, I'm getting older and want to do more traveling while I still
have the health that allows that.  Running the list when I travel for any
length of time (when I'm "on the road" rather than settled as I am when I
go to Vienna) is very difficult.

Thus I am planning to either:

1. Close the list.
2. Make some major changes in what I post.

I don't need to do anything until early December at the earliest since I
don't see myself travelling before then.  Even then, I'm not sure about
that period.  However, I am for sure going to Ireland for a full month
around April 2005 and simply won't have e-mail access and, from my trip a
last year, I know that there are almost no cyber cafes in the rural west
where I like to visit.  Because of that I limited that trip to just two
weeks though I wanted a longer one.

I just don't have TIME to defer travel any longer.  I haven't any idea how
long my health with be what it is.  STuff happens to us older folks.
Nothing I can do about that.

I have been assessing the options:

1.  Just ending the list.
2.  Turning the list over to some other person.
3.  Making some major change in what I post ==

	for example to post ONLY items actually
	written by the poster and not published elsewhere
	(eliminating all published news items) and
	keeping:

	-- discussion and opnions of list members
	-- inquiry
	-- announcements

	would cut the number of post significantly.

I have been thinking about these and other options.  I REQUEST and even
PLEAD with you to advise me.  I will not post discussion of the list on
the list, but I do request to hear your advice on what diretion you would
suggest I take the list when the time comes for some significant change.

Thanks very much,

Bob Corbett