23042: Oakley: "dread" analogy in Haiti (fwd)

From: Seanna Oakley <ssoakley@umich.edu>

Hello! I am new to this listserv. I have a question regarding Haitian creative
literature.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an analogous concept in Haitian culture to the
Jamaican concept of "dread."  I'm having a hard time pinpointing a term,
although the ambiance is there in the literature. So far, I've found "effroi"
and "épouvante" but these don't seem to have been raised to the same level of
concept as "dread" in Jamaican work. Any advice much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Seanna Oakley

--
Seanna Sumalee Oakley