23060: Brice: RE: 23035: Lafortune: jlf university (fwd) -- Corbett adds

From: Bob Brice <bobbrice@hotmail.com>

What does "JLF" U.  stand for? How long have they been in operations in the
US?

Upon reading this post the issue of "accreditation" came to mind. Not only
have I ever heard of such school until now, I failed to read about the
school's accreditation. Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't locate such info
on their website. It's a good thing to have similar programs available in
Haiti, but what good is it if the students over there invest their time and
money in their programs only to later find out that their credits or
diplomas are accepted NOwhere else. Does anyone know of the school? Is there
a way to find out about their accreditation in the US?
Anyone with info about this school, do come up with them to better inform
the public.

Regards!

==============

Like Bob Brice I have noted the various posts about this school and the
claim of "accreditation."  It is very important for students to know
EXACTLY what this accreditation is and who accepts it.  For 36 years as a
professor I also always had a small group of students for whom I was an
academic advisor.  While there were offices at the university which
handled the technical stuff, the role of the academic advisor was more
intellectual.  However, students invariably poured our their difficulties
on me and a very common one was disappointment that they took courses
various places which claimed "accreditation," only to find out later that
the ESSENTIAL ISSUES are:  who recognizes this credit and who will
transfer it.

I am not suggesting this Haitian school DOESN'T have proper credentials,
but I would urge the school to make this transparent and for any student or
potential student to always be sure to know exactly where your school
stands in relatin to other schools and the academic world in general.

Bob Corbett