23075: Kathleen: Gran Brigit (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Regarding the question regarding St. Bridget:

I just starting reading Kate Horsley's CONFESSIONS OF A PAGAN NUN.  The foreword contains the following statement:  "The manuscript was found...the convent dedicated to Saint Brigit.  (Saint Brigit was a Christian manifestation of the pagan goddess Brigit and a woman said to have been raised by a druid and converted by Patrick.)"

In 2000, I bought a Barra doll in the Iron Market which Bazelais said was "gran Brigit, older than time."  I found a reference to GB as being wife of or female manifestation of Danbala, the serpent god.  My doll has many serpents entwined about it.  She does not, however, have red eyes, which a source (forget which) wrote was a characteristic of Brigit.   Kathleen Burke