23094: Holmstead: interview: GNB=BNB (fwd)

From: John Holmstead <cyberkismet5@yahoo.com>

A friend just returned with an interview with a
student leader who participated in the so-called GNB
movement to unseat Aristide. My friend explained that
GNB (gren nan bouda?) is a crude term which literally
means "testicles up your butt." This is supposed to
mean you have great courage cause no one can get to
your testicles to cut them off...which is how they
viewed themselves before Aristide was forced out.
Anyway, in this interview the student leader says what
once appeared to be GNB was actually BNB or what he
calls Bourgeois nan Bouda. He says he now regrets
having participated because it has become clear it was
really a front for the traditional business interests
who he believes have cut a deal with the former
military for their return. At the end of the interview
he breaks down and cries, "What we thought was moving
forward was really moving backward. My parents are not
rich and my friends are not rich and when we look at
who is running the state today it is clear we have not
been included. My father does not run Behrmann Motors
so I cannot get a high paying job in Teleco. We are
back to zero because it is clear there was never any
intention of including us. Now that they have used us
all up the only thing we can do is return to our
Bidonvilles and keep our mouths shut. The only problem
with that is when you are forced to keep your mouth
shut you can really hear your belly rumble with
hunger."