23148: Jay: Re: 23147: Senou: Open Debate...

From: Jepiem@aol.com

These are certainly very interesting points raised by the author of post
23147.
The diaspora and the local haitian community or at least those who speak
for
the haitian majority don't see eye to eye on this subject. The very fact
that
those restrictions were put into the constitution is telling enough. It
will
take a revision of the constitution to change this state of affairs, but
the
haitian diaspora doesn't have the right to vote. Politicians like
Aristide,
realizing the power (economic or otherwise) of the haitian diaspora
outside of
the haitian territory, courts it by promising integration, but those
politicians, Aristide included know very well that a constitutional change
is
much easier promised than given. Before we get into a dry debate about
this
subject what about evaluating the probability of getting those changes
executed?This much touted constitution is a dog anyway as far as I am
concerned; what about thinking in term of putting the mechanisms into gear
for
the redaction of a real revolutionary constitution, one that would answer
the
real aspirations of the haitian people, not just a limited group. This
time, we
would have to make sure that the revolution is not highjacked once more by
the
demagogues and those at the pay of the reactionary bourgeois imperialists.
Math Jay