23172: Durban: Arms Embargo to Haiti?? (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Corbetters:

I just received quoted info below from a knowledgeable friend
who lives in Haiti but is not on the Corbett List.  I pass it
along without comment.

Lance Durban

QUOTE:
There has been a lot of talk lately about an arms embargo on
Haiti that stops the Govt. from buying amunition for the police.
 I talked to someone last night who said that he asked the
commercial attaché of the US Embassy who denied that there was
any embargo in place.  There had been one but it was lifted when
Aristide came back.  To export arms from the US you need to get
a licence and the US Govt. had not been giving these licenses to
Aristide the last few years.  The only reason LaTortue has not
had a license is that he has never applied for one.

I am sure this can be confirmed by a simple phone call to the US
Embassy.
UNQUOTE