23174: Senou: Remember your first days in the U.S. (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Remember your first days in the U.S.

When dealing with a Haitian family, prepare one day to
live in “colony” for an unlimited time.  When Florida
is gone, the family will land in Georgia to rest in
peace not in shelter, if you can don’t ever let your
family spend a day in a shelter, I repeat again: if
you can. We shall be thankful to those who assist us
in the past and also to their children. Those of us
who use to live on campus, today we are living in
mansion where our bathroom is bigger than the room
that we used to share with a college roommate. We come
from a long way.
I want you to relive your first days in the U.S. and
other countries that offer opportunity. Your parents
or hosts are not professional and therefore are living
a tough life. Some of them used to send money to you
while you were living in Haiti and soon you have the
remorse for misusing that money.

Some parents, your parents since they are not
professionals did two jobs to pay the rent and the
bills and they make sure that you eat everyday.  How
they manage to take care the whole family? It is a
parent secret, I don’t know.

Today, you and I are blessed and we are living the
American Dream: own a cool home (mansion for me) have
a cool job, flying everywhere in the world, spending
our weekends away, visiting family and friends and
hosting family and friends but some of you tend to
forget your first days in the United States and those
who assisted you. I don’t know your relationship today
between you and these folks who assisted you during
your first days in the great country. Remember they
assisted you and they did everything they could have
done for you within their limit.

Today let them know that you appreciate what they have
done for you: Surprise them with a meaningful gift and
say Thank you. Well, thank you only is good but when
someone did for you this type of favor that thank you
shall be followed with something.  There might be
“tension” between you and these people but that does
not erase what they have done for you. There might be
tension and friction between Haiti and the United
States but that does erase the fact that we assisted
them to get their freedom. Today, it is a little
embarrassing but history is history and history
reports fact.

When someone else beside your parents assisted you in
providing basic necessities, you shall never forget
it. It is money deposited in the bank and they must
cash in and please do not make somebody else “regret”
for spending on you.  You have a duty to assist them
and their children and you are not doing anything but
returning favor.

Again, remember your first days; today that house may
be too small, get them a bigger one and this has
nothing to do with your current relationship. Their
children may be going to tough time, assist them;
remember his/her parents assisted you when you were
vulnerable. You need to put all these nonsense upset
and anger behind and remember the sacrifice these
people have done for you. They did not have enough to
feed their own children but they manage to assist you.

Again, remember your first days and those who assisted
you and make sure that these people and their children
live a good life.

Joe Alfred (new mailing address)
P.O BOX 1022
Douglasville, GA 30133-1022