23226: Severe: Reply to Simidor, Walton (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

Anyone who doesn't think history is cyclical hasn't been on this list long
enough. One of the best discussions we've ever had on this list started with
an attempt to find the definition for Colibri and ended up with numerous
posts on possible ecological solutions for Haiti. The problems that Haiti
has with its ecology are wide known and have been discussed endlessly. The
solutions have been bandied about on this list and elsewhere. The sticking
point is getting it done. Haiti currently has a government that doesn't have
the capacity to control the whole country much less start a reforestation
scheme. There have been numerous NGO and USAID efforts but they're a drop in
the bucket and don't have a nationwide reach.

There is a large demand for charcoal because of its utility and relative
price advantage compared to other methods. I think solar cookers, propane
and other methods have potential but are hampered by slowness(solar cooker)
or cost(propane).  At least in the near term there is nothing that is taking
charcoal's place. People like it and it is what they are used to. There
would need to be a massive reeducation program to cause people to move away
from charcoal and a suitable alternative.

I don't know if there is a market based solution to this problem but we
should be looking in that direction. I"m not against a big gov't program,
but one has to be realistic about what the Haitian Gov't can do in the "Age
of the Turtle."   Possible solutions range from importing charcoal to reduce
environmental pressure on Haitian forests or creating tree farms of
relatively fast growing trees(preferably native species)  some of which
could be cut down for use as charcoal while the remaining trees could reduce
mudslides.

Another problem is that people are living in areas that are just prone to
flooding. No matter how many trees an area has if you live in a valley
surround by large hills and mountains the water has to go somewhere and
there will be flooding. Proper land use policies can minimize the risk, but
that requires a functioning gov't or at least an aware populace.