23302: O'Brien RE: 23208: URGENT ACTION: Stop Attacks on Labor and Human RightsActivists in Haiti (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mmcpeob@earthlink.net>

Regarding the part of message 23208 quoted below, I have several comments.
First of all, you *do* need the country code (509) after the 011 and before
the 222 to phone Ambassador Foley.  Secondly, I called and talked to his
secretary who seemed absolutely amazed that someone was calling with
concerns about persecution of labor and Lavalas.  Her voice had the same
intonation as that of young people when they say, "Whatever THAT is!"  I
don't know whether that means that she was surprised that someone could
possibly be thinking about anything other than the hurricane mess right now
or whether it means that no one else has called or faxed.  If it is the
latter, which, of course I have no way of knowing, perhaps people who are
concerned about these issues should find the time (and money) to make a
call.