23328: Fouche: American Airlines Check-in Bag Limit to Haiti (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] Rachel Fouché" <rmfouche@verizon.net>

I spoke to a representative of American Airlines today and she informed me
that due to the hurricane, people who were bringing medical supplies or were
part of a non-profit group going to Haiti could check THREE pieces of
luggage instead of two without the $80 dollar fee per additional bag.  The
bags to be checked-in, however, must be no more that 70 pounds in weight,
and it is at the discretion of the flight crew to allow the extra baggage
(the plane has to comply with its maximum weight capacity).

As for the price of the ticket, I have always paid around $500-600 for a
round trip ticket to Haiti from Boston.  I'm sure I could have saved money
if I took a cheaper flight to Miami, and then took the AA flight from Miami
to Haiti, but I pay the $600 tag because (1) I don't want to spend the time
looking for a cheaper fair; (2) I know that American Airlines safety record
is tops, and; (3) I pay for the increased maintenace that AA performs, so I
don't end up decorating someone's lawn.

People are ever so quick to malign a company as "capitalist scumbags" when
they can't get their way.  Seeing that American Airlines is the only
US-based airline that still maintains a presence in Haiti and is very
responsive to the needs of people who need to ferry supplies to their family
and friends in Haiti must be commended.  Couple this with the fact that fuel
prices have gone up recently, and $600 isn't so bad.

Rachel Fouché