23334: Leiderman: refugees and poverty, two shadows of environmental destruction (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

my thanks to Charles Arthur for posting the Guardian article carrying
some of his remarks about Haiti's environmental crisis.

Secretaire d'Etat de l'Environment M. Yves Andre' Wainright
<http://www.haiti.org/Government/cabinetministeriel.htm> has apparently
occupied that important post since the mid-1990's
<http://www.tulane.edu/~libweb/RESTRICTED/HAITINFO/1996_0309.txt>,

if I were him, and given the worsening condition of Haiti's environment,
I would be constantly touring the United States right now, especially
during our presidential campaign season.  he could remind people that
widespread poverty and environmental refugees are the two shadows of
environmental destruction in rich and poor countries alike.  his speeches
could help bring candidates in our country to their senses, and raise a
little money for reforesting his own.  for the price of a few days' worth
of political advertising here in the States, Haiti could fund months of
emergency employment for tree planters in Haiti.  what a waste.

Stuart Leiderman