23388: lyall: computerized elections? (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

Devin forwarded an interesting article on the possible computerized
elections in hayti.
It is a strange idea, but alleging that the system used in the
Venezuelan referendum is designed to ensure
selection/nomination/plebiscite rather than election is a strange
position for a third world progressive to be taking.

India has designed new computer voting machines which run on low
capacity batteries and are simple. They think that computers will
drastically reduce the opportunities for fraud.

The Venezuelan referendum was run with their own machines. It was
judged fair by the OAS and Carter Center (no friends of the
Venezuelan revolution) but the conservative conspiracists insist that
it was used to endorse a fraud. The alleged fraud of confirming the
President in office in that recall election.

I know nothing of the details of the digital system which they are
talking about using in Hayti, but alleging that poor people cannot
comprehend using a computer to vote is, how do you say...classist or
racist?

--
J. David Lyall
http://www.lyalls.net/