23411: Thede Re: 23400: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-In Haiti, typhoid fever cases suspected (fwd)

From: Cory & Kris Thede <Haitithede@hotmail.com>

Having worked on the island of LaGonave as a family practice doctor for 6
years it would be surprising to me to hear that there were not hundreds of
cases of typhoid. We treat new cases of suspected typhoid on a daily bases.
While we have Widal tests, it is hard to confirm the cases as we are not
able to do cultures for confirmation. I am told that here on LaGonave the
average Haitian is only able to obtain on average about 7 liters of water
a day. The amount quoted needed for good health is over 15 liters. How to
you stress good handwashing and hygiene in an area where people are
struggling
to find clean water to drink and cook with?!?

Dr. Kris