23432: (Chamberlain) U.N. Haiti force needs urgent reinforcement, says Brazil (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     BRASILIA, Brazil, Oct 14 (Reuters) - The U.N. peacekeeping force in
Haiti urgently needs reinforcements amid a wave of violence that has killed
around 50 people in the Caribbean country, Brazil's Foreign Minister said
on Thursday.
     Brazil is leading a U.N. force that numbers about 2,600 soldiers. It
is a fraction of the 6,700 troops and 1,600 police authorized for the
mission to stabilize Haiti after a February revolt killed over 200 people
and forced President Jean-Bertrand Aristide into exile.
     "As long as we don't have the deployment, as long as we don't have the
increase in forces, it's going to be very difficult," Brazil's Celso Amorim
told reporters. "We have faith the troops there, with the support of those
that should soon arrive, will allow the situation to be controlled."
     The Brazilian-led U.N. force took over peacekeeping in Haiti in June
from a U.N.-sanctioned multinational stabilization force led by U.S.
Marines.
     Amorim said an extra 600 U.N. troops were on their way to Haiti but
the force "still lacked a lot."
     Since late September, Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince has been beset by
violence between ex-soldiers who helped topple Aristide and supporters of
the exiled leader who fled on Feb. 29 after U.S. and French pressure to
quit.
     Pro-Aristide gangs retain control of many of Port-au-Prince's
sprawling slums and former soldiers who opposed him are in charge of
several towns. Aristide opponents are demanding the reestablishment of the
army and back pay.
     Aristide supporters are demanding his return, the disarmament of
rebels and an end to the "invasion" of troops from Brazil and other
nations.
     Aristide, accused by opponents of despotism but regarded by many of
Haiti's poor as their champion, claims the United States kidnapped him and
he is still Haiti's elected leader. The United States denies the
accusations.
     Floods that killed more than 3,000 people last month after Tropical
Storm Jeanne have strained the peacekeepers' resources as they protect aid
convoys and patrol the capital.
     Amorim said Brazil had sent an envoy to Haiti to try to set up
political dialogue and cut through bureaucracy slowing restoration of basic
services.
    "It has to be urgent, we're working with this understanding," Amorim
said.
    The majority of those killed in recent fighting -- about 30 -- died in
gun battles between rival gangs in Cite Soleil, Haiti's largest slum. Other
victims have been killed by police after street clashes and protests. Five
police have been killed and two peacekeepers wounded.