23477: Naab: Re: 23454: Morse: A Little Perspective (fwd)

From: Sara Naab <saranaab@hotmail.com>

I agree. I was thinking today of the New Deal that helped get the US out of
the depression. People are fighting because they are either angry about jobs
lost or believe in the possiblity of getting money. Of course there are a
thousand other reasons as well, but one of the heart issues is that there is
not enough money to go around and everyone wants some.

Why not pay haitians for the reconstruction of Haiti? To plant trees and
rebuild roads and teach others to read. A haitian wage is not that high and
if development money was spent on that, I think it would go a long way. If
multinationals have realized that they can achieve more for the dollar by
hiring a low labor costs why can't the development world. 100,000 grant, a
drop in the bucket hires what? a manager and some equipment for a year. What
if that 100,000 paid people in haiti. How many lives would it touch and how
much would it do to change the situation?