23464: Severe: Reply to Morse (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

Morse, you call it a bit of perspective, I call it a breath of fresh air.
What the politicos need to realize  is that the current situation is a
stalemate with Lavalas out of power, but newly energized and the anti
aristide coalition in power but becoming fractured. I think  one of the big
mistakes of the immediate post aristidie period is the installation of "non
political" government. The Latotue gov't was supposed to be composed of
technocrats who could be seat warmers until the "real govt" assumed power
after elections. Nice idea, but the current gov't has shown itself to have
partisan leanings and secondly has no political base.

It would of been better to have a politically oriented government
incorporating both Lavalas and the GNB/184 movement. One could reasonly ask
wouldn't such a government be paralyzed by political bickering and
machinations for greater power? I'd say that is a distinct possibility, but
the current situation of having a large segment of the population(Lavalas)
excluded from power is inherently unstable and cannot last indefinitely.
Under a coalition government the key players have a stake in its success
and are less liable to act irresponsibly.