23524: Jedidiah: new advertizements in hayti (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

The past few weeks have had some interesting publisite/advertizements
on the radio.

Radio Kiskeya is running an ad for 'Bateau Haitian Pride', running
passenger service from PauP to Gonaives and Cap Haitian. Now, I have
doubts as to whether it is possible to use the port at Gonaives, but
that is what they are saying. A fast boat could make Gonaives in a
few hours. Maybe 4. Maybe 8 in a displacement hull I guess. Wild
guesses. The trip around up to Cap Haitian would be an awful lot
longer. And then wouldn't you stop at Mole St Nicholas (called Cul de
Sac in 1670's apparently) and Port de Paix?

The russians have nice little hydrofoils running on the Moskva river.
That would be nice for that trip. Or to La Gonave. The seas might be
too high to do the north coast tho. How about an express to Jeremie?

I have wondered about the port at Gonaives, asking AID types about
why the food ships don't just go to Gonaives directly. No one I know
has seen the port since the inundation, but I read about gangs
robbing some kind of boats at the port there. Perhaps the container
equipment is wrecked but the wharves are still there?

There is a new cigarette being advertized also. Tempo. It costs 6
dola ht compared to 10 dola ht for Comme Il Faut. They are stronger
than Comme and there is no country of origin listed on the pack.
Possibly from Brazil?

Different subject: The Haitian matches/alimette were made in
Gonaives. LAHSA Les'Allumettes Haitiennes SA. WIth a nice map of
hayti. We won't be seeing them anymore I imagine. They are now
collectors items. Nice little gifts for americans to display. Haytian
gifts from the former industrial powerhouse of Gonaives.
--
J. David Lyall
http://www.lyalls.net/