23537: Kathleen: Re: 23534: Jenson: Re: 23520: Kathleen: Re: 23516: (Chamberlain) Efforts to stem violence (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>
    (Chamberlain)  Efforts to stem violence (fwd)

Thank you.
The involvement of  South Africa in the promotion and support of Aristide is
scary, especially when it comes to sending arms.
I think we should talk/write about this a lot, especially as the Mbeki
government has"recognized" Aristide as t he legitimate ruler of Haiti (let's
remember that the "Council of Sages" that appointed LaTortue included the
sister of t he slained Izmery brothers), supports them, and has appointed
them as "research fellows" to teach at a major S.A. university.
We do live in a global economy;  gunrunning, academic apointments, and
political support from Africa cannot be ignored or diminished. k