23547: Wilson: Rule of Law is the Beginning of the Answer for Haiti

From: Richard Wilson <riwilson_6442@msn.com>

In my years in Haiti I listened to my Haitian friends debate the political
issues of the day, as they do now and as is done on this list.  But the
beginning of the answer for Haiti is to take seriously their own
constitution,
justice system and police system.

All sides, all parties, all individuals must swear allegiance to that
document.  Not to their party.  Not to their class.  And when
disagreements
occur then the justices must decide the issue according to the law--not
according to their political affiliations or friendships or the regions
from
which they originate.  And those receiving that decision must agree to
live by
it in peace.

And the police must swear allegiance to the constitution to support and
defend
IT--not the party in power nor the one wanting to be in power.  Their job
is to
be the neutral enforcers of the laws of the land.

Further, all sides, rich and poor, elite and common must swear allegiance
uphold and defend that document.  And the constitution and courts must
never be
used for "revenge" in the name of "justice."  If it is then it becomes a
mockery.

A stable government results from the rule of law applied equally.  And
when the
court rules then all sides agree to abide by that decision and not call
their
supporters to arms to overthrow the courts, the government or to inflict
retaliation on their enemies.

Finally, all sides must realistically face the future.  Economic
development
and political stability go hand in hand.  Adherence to the law will
gradually
end the corruption which stands between foreign aid and economic aid.
Until
the finger of blame turns from pointing at one another and closes to form
in
salute to the constitution and laws of Haiti I fear nothing will change.

Richard F. Wilson