23575: Severe: Reply to LOCCM 23560 (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

When I spoke of "popular mandate" that was not meant as a sly reference to
or approval of  the "five years if you don't like it make it ten" school of
Aristide restoration. I solely meant an election where the next leader of
Haiti could be chosen be it right, left, or center. That should not be a
controversial point.

Victory at the polls should not be seen as absolution for previous or future
sins. Aristide/Lavalas' apparent coziness with criminal elements was(is?)
unforgivable and ultimately led to Aristide's downfall when the gangs saw
which way the winds were blowing and jumped ship or just stayed home.

The obsession with Aristide displayed by many pro or con is frankly
unhealthy for Haiti. The man is neither messiah or devil. He is one man who
did not live up to all the hopes placed on him.