23581: Esser: PIH - Statement on current events in Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser <torx@joimail.com>

Partners in Health
http://www.pih.org/

Statement on current events in Haiti

Ocotber 18, 2004

Many of you have expressed concern and sent support for Haiti in the
wake of its recent flood disasters. We would like to make you aware
of another deadly disaster transpiring in Haiti, this one receiving
much less media attention. Since President Aristide’s removal from
office last February, the number of human rights crimes has grown at
a distressing rate. The recent spike in violence has led several
concerned organizations to visit Haiti to bear witness and report on
the increase in violations, which remain largely un- or
under-reported in the United States. Once again it is the poor and
those working on their behalf that are affected most directly by this
violence. We, at Partners In Health, are deeply saddened by these
tragedies.

For specific accounts and suggestions on how to take action, please see:

http://www.paxchristiusa.org/news_events_more.asp?id=943

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/hti-index-eng

http://www.ijdh.org/#humanrightsreports
.