23585: (Chamberlain) Aristide still has role to play for Haiti-Mbeki (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     LUSAKA, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Haiti's former President Jean Bertrand
Aristide still has an important role to play in resolving his country's
political problems, South African President Thabo Mbeki said on Saturday.
     South Africa gave Aristide refuge after he was ousted in February, and
still recognises him as the country's rightful president.
     Last week Haiti's interim leader, Prime Minister Gerard Latortue,
accused Aristide of fomenting violence in his homeland from South Africa
after dozens died in gang and political violence -- a claim which Aristide
and South Africa denied.
     "I am quite certain that what is critical for Haiti is a political
solution and I am absolutely certain that President Aristide will play a
very important role in finding a political solution," Mbeki told reporters
     "He has told me he is quite prepared to help find that political
solution." Mbeki was speaking as he arrived in Zambia for celebrations
marking the southern African country's 40th anniversary of independence.
     "The problem in Haiti is that an elected leader was removed and people
who elected him say he must come back. The interim government in Haiti are
failing to deal with the political situation in Haiti," Mbeki said.
     He added that both Chile and Brazil were trying to initiate political
dialogue in Haiti, but gave no details.
     Mbeki was the only foreign head of state to attend Haiti's
bicentennial celebrations on Jan. 1, marking the founding of the world's
first black-led republic, against a backdrop of mounting protests against
Aristide's rule.