23627 (discuss) Anonymous: Haiti tomorrow (fwd)

Anonymous:

The Corbett list postings reflect a dismal reality. Many of the writers are,
as I am, foreigners but they seem to have acquired the Haitian sickness of
viewing local politicians as saints or devils.

We should try and keep our facts straight.

Aristide was without doubt a poor president. He was however elected legally
by a majority and even now represents the hopes and aspirations of a
sizeable section of the population.

Yes he was forcibly exported by the US and France, but only after it became
evident that the opposition would not accept ­ even on a trial basis ­ the
Caricom compromise which would hopefully have defanged Aristide but left him
nominally in power. I believe that the US and France opted for the lesser
evil; ie replace Aristide with an apolitical group of technocrats rather
than watch him being replaced by worse (Guy Philippe or another of his ilk).

The technocrats have turned out to be tainted by the political swim and
incompetent.

Aristidešs minions, ejected from power by force, see no alternative but to
attempt to regain it by force.

Let us face it. Democracy is a very difficult exercise which, at best, works
moderately well in highly disciplined and structured societies. It is out of
the question for present day Haiti.

Democracy here has turned out to be either the purchased ­through the army ­
preserve of the haves who very inefficiently control what little trade and
commerce exists or the possession of  the generally selfish representatives
of the have-nots preaching a liberation theology inspired message of rights
without responsibilities.

Haitišs emergence on the world scene as an independent state was a miracle ­
a unique miracle I might add. It would have taken a series of miracles to
turn it into a VIABLE independent state. Haiti and Haitians had no chance in
the past and unless the international community ­ which off course means the
US ­ assumes its responsibilities they will not have a chance in the future.

No home grown government can hope to change the current mindsets of either
the haves or the have-nots. There is practically no gainful employment to be
had outside government service and this is a recipe for everlasting
disaster.

The only hope that I can see would be in a UN government (an improved Kosovo
style) with  heavy US and EEC backing ruling for a generation with a mandate
to educate all (half currently get none and most of the other half get the
illusion of an education), create a physical and social infrastructure which
will attract expatriate Haitians and other foreigners (the expatriates are
to all practical intents and purposes foreigners) to set up efficient,
productive industries able to gradually fill the glaring lack at the root of
all problems, the lack of work.

Haiti has produced large numbers of capable, well prepared individuals but
these find that they cannot operate gainfully whilst selflessly in the
thoroughly corrupt Haitian environment. Without ŗpower˛ in foreign hands
this cannot change.