23639: (reply) anonymous: (reply) Re: 23633: (reply) Brown: Re: 23627 (discuss) Anonymous: Haiti tomorrow (fwd)

Anonymous

Whilst thanking Haines Brown for his appreciation of the first part of my
posting I must try to correct what I see as grievous errors (no doubt fueled
by optimism) in his comments on Democracy.
A glance at the current shenanigans in the US will surely confirm my
assertion that Democracy is a difficult exercise.
Past Haitian governments have all ignored the education of the rural
majority. Politically they don't count. There is little that a politician
can steal from them and anyway the Political problem is Port au Prince and
maybe 4 other towns.
The literacy rate in Cuba is equal (and in terms of functionality may
exceed) that in the US. How can you compare Democracy in Cuba with Democracy
in Haiti. Incidentally when Castro appeared the literacy rate was already
way above that of Haiti.
Under Haitian control future elections will, as past ones, either reflect
the wishes of a small literate minority interested in maintaining the status
quo. Or the dreams of a rural majority temporarily believing the idea that
they can  get without giving.
We are all human beings. I am not suggesting that Haiti be ruled by Martians
but (temporarily) by other human beings who can afford to put the interests
(the real interests) of the governed ahead of those of the governors.
A Haitian miracle man appearing tomorrow would not be able to garner amongst
his fellow citizens the support permitting him to change things.
First the change, then the Democracy.