23660: Lyall: (reply) jed: what is caricom? (fwd)

From: J.David Lyall <postmaster@lyalls.net>

Caricom is made up of the former British possessions in the
Caribbean. Originally the Crown tried to create a unified country of
all those small plantation islands. Jamaica is the only one of any
size. Did Guyana join later? Dunno. The 'nationalists' of tiny places
like Grenada and St Vincent, etc, shot down union. A 'community' of
the english caribbean came about instead.

None of the Spanish caribbean is there. I guess the other french
islands are part of france. Dutch islands aren't in caricom either.

So, why did Hayti join the english colonies in their club? Mysterious.